Bruce Heather RIP
It is with much sadness that we advise of the passing of our club patron Bruce Heather on 26 June.
Bruce was a life member and legend of the club, with a five decades long playing career and service as Chair (1973-76), President (1986-1992) and Patron (2017-present).
Starting with the senior club in 1959, Bruce’s many playing exploits include;
- the unlikely to be beaten tally of 1501 club wickets
- 55 wickets in 1962-63
- 90 wickets in 1963-64 (incl 9-74)
- 9-27 in 1972-73 (shared Lt Oakley Award for best performance)
- 60 wickets in 1984-85 and captaining the 1A side to the grade win.
- 5000 club runs
- Multiple wins of the Hibernian Memorial Cup for club best all-rounder (1965-66, 1974-75, 1978-79)
- Alan Henderson Memorial Cup for performance points in 1974-75 (and second to J Coney for the same cup in 1972-73)
Bruce was also a founder and patron of the Onslow Cricket Foundation. After retiring from cricket following the 2008-09 season he kept a keen interest in the performance of the club’s premier team in the ensuing years.
Bruce’s contribution to the club was immense. He was the man we all wanted to be! His grace, patience and perseverance to find the best in young men was extraordinary. Rest in peace Bruce.
Our condolences go out to Bruce’s family.